We are not ready to put away their protest signs just yet...are you?
On January 21, 2017, tens of thousands of Canadians took to the streets from coast to coast, and in Washington, D.C., joining together to defend women’s equality and other causes. For Women's March Canada, these causes relate to a unifying framework called H.E.R.S., that spells out the women’s rights priorities of: Health, Economic Security, Representation, and Safety:
- Health — Healthcare is the foundation of women’s well-being and economic stability. Women’s March Canada advocates for access to affordable and inclusive women’s healthcare regardless of nationality, age, race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or disability.
- Economic Security — Women are powerful drivers of economic growth, and their economic empowerment benefits all nations. Women’s March Global supports the dismantling of economic barriers that obstruct women’s full and equal access to local, national, and global economic systems.
- Representation — Women are under-represented across Canada, adversely affecting our collective health, safety, and economic security. Women’s March Canada seeks fair and just representation of women locally, nationally, as well as internationally with Women's March Global.
- Safety — Every woman has the need and right to feel physically secure, and security for women should be assured through sound legal practices. Women’s March Canada stands behind the principle that women are not to be held accountable for actions that are outside their control — particularly regarding all forms of assault — and that fair legal action must be applied to prevent these crimes.”
List it here
We encourage women's groups from across Canada to list their upcoming events related to women's health, economic security, representation, and safety.
- If Hacking Health is holding an event related to women's health care - list it here.
- If Lean In Canada is holding a workshop to help women take charge of their careers - list it here.
- If EqualVoice is holding an event for International Women's Day - list it here.
- If a local domestic abuse services organization is holding a fundraising event - list it here.
- If you are planning a march for women's rights - list it here.