Brona Little signed Keep Ontario's Current Sex-Ed Curriculum Petition via Sara Bingham 2018-07-13 18:52:49 -0400
Women’s March Canada is deeply disappointed with the announcement by the Minister of Education, Lisa Thompson, to roll back Ontario’s modernized sexual health education curriculum ahead of the upcoming school year. Ontario’s children and youth deserve access to health and physical education information that ensures their safety and aligns with the realities of our rapidly changing world.875 signatures
To the Legislative Assembly of Ontario
The revised 2015 health curriculum has been extensively researched and is the most progressive and up-to-date in Ontario’s history. There is no other curriculum in the province that has benefited from nearly a decade of input from both experts in the field and thousands of parents.
The repeal of the current Ontario curriculum for Grades 1-8 in Health and Physical Education, 2015 (Revised) means:
- Ontario students will no longer be taught the concept of ‘consent.’ The word consent appears ZERO times in the 1998 health curriculum. Given the rate of sexual violence against women in Ontario, this is completely unacceptable.
- There will be zero discussion on gender identity or same-sex relationships.
- Students will not learn about issues around gender-based violence, sexual harassment, homophobia, the social impacts of puberty, sexting, cyberbullying or protecting yourself from online predators. There have been 78 women and girls killed in Canada so far this year and most of them were in Ontario.
The Ontario Curriculum, Grades 1-8: Health and Physical Education, 2015 (revised)
We, the undersigned, petition the Legislative Assembly of Ontario as follows:
- Immediately reinstate the revised 2015 health curriculum;
- Provide a clear and transparent plan for additional consultations including a timeline for consultations;
- Provide a clear and transparent plan for how the initial consultations will be incorporated into any revisions proposed by the Ford Government;
- If a new curriculum document is to be made and presented, please indicate where and how it will address the following topics included in the 2015 revision: consent; sexting; cyberbullying; LGBTQ2S; body parts; and other information to help young people advocate for their own health and safety.
For the sake of humanity, it’s time to act. This petition urges the Govenment of Canada speak up on behalf of your constituents in renouncing these actions and call on the UN to spare the children irreparable trauma.7,200 signatures
Needless and Cruel
"The administration's policy of separating children from their families as they attempt to cross into the United States without documentation is not only needless and cruel, it threatens the mental and physical health of both the children and their caregivers," the American Psychological Association said in a statement.
Children are being ripped from their parents and housed in tent cities or caged in an abandoned Walmart. It is not only unconstitutional but a humanitarian crisis.
As outsiders are not permitted to address the House, petitions must be presented by Members. Therefore, petitioners must send their petition to a Member asking the Member to present it on their behalf. Women's March Canada will be requesting that an MP to be named will present this position to the House of Commons. To be certified a petition must include 500 valid signatures. For electronic petitions, an e-mail address, full name, postal code and phone number must be provided.
What can we do outside the US?
If in Canada and you are furious that the US is placing children in internment camps, essentially being used as political pawns, and violating both human rights and international law, here's how to take action:
- sign this petition
- visit our Facebook post above to:
- learn how to contact your local MP:
- find what to say (many of our followers have shared what they've emailed to their local MPs);
- then tag your local MP in a comment on the post;
- share and "like" the post with your friends on Facebook to spread the word.
It takes less than 10 minutes to share your voice for these children. Please do so now.
For the sake of humanity, it’s time to act. We, the undersigned citizens (or residents) of Canada draw attention to the House to the following that, the US Administration has directed its Homeland Security to send “100 percent of illegal southwest border crossings” to the US Justice Department to be prosecuted. When undocumented parents are criminally prosecuted, their children are automatically declared unaccompanied minors, detained and transferred into government custody—despite the fact that they have loving parents who desperately want to stay with them, parents who brought them to the United States in search of a better and safer life.
Therefore, we call upon Parliament to renounce these actions, to call on the United Nations to demand that US immigration agencies stop the implementation of any policy that separates children and youth from their families, and that the US Administration enlist qualified social service agencies to ensure the well-being of children who are still in their custody, or have gone missing. We urge the Government of Canada to speak up on behalf of your constituents in renouncing these actions.
We must show the world that #CanadaCares